Quinoa Pumpkin Soup
This is a hearty, warming soup, great for winter. The pumpkin, quinoa and red lentils break down to make a thick and satisfying chunky mixture. We serve it with coconut cream and roasted onions on top, delicious.
1 butternut pumpkin (about 1.4kg)
1 medium onion (124g)
1 clove garlic (2g)
1 cup red lentils (200g)
3/4 cup white quinoa (100g)
4 tablespoon vegetable boullion (38g)
8 cups hot water (2 litres)
1.5 teaspoon sea salt, or to taste
1 teaspoon ground turmeric (2g)
1 teaspoon ground cumin (2g)
1 large brown onion (280g) for garnish
- Wash and peel pumpkin, dice into 2cm cubes.
- Peel and dice onion. Peel garlic and mince finely.
- Heat a large saucepan over medium heat. Add 1 – 2 Tbsp water for braising, and cook the onion until transparent. Add the garlic and stir until cooked.
- Add red lentils, quinoa, stock powder, water, salt, turmeric, cumin, and diced pumpkin.
- Bring to boil, reduce heat and simmer 30 min. Lentils and pumpkin should start to break down.
- Serve with coconut cream, roasted onion wedges, and fresh chopped herbs.
- For roasted onions, take 1 large onion, peel, chop into wedges, place on a lined baking tray, drizzle a little olive oil over and bake at 180 for 30 – 40 min or till cooked.